bikes and scooters thread

Anything and everything.
sinku
assailant

bikes and scooters thread

Post by sinku »

Hi all, this thread is for bicycles, motorcycles and scooters. Post about yours: what you've been up to with it, maintainence and pictures and new purchases or stories.

Yesterday I bought a 23 year old Honda @125 and today I spent my afternoon working on it. It's my first bike besides a pushbike and I am excited to get out on it once it is insured and taxed. It is a heavy thing to move, 131kg, and is a nice silver. I got a maintainence manual and I found out all the exciting and annoying things about its body panels. The coolant and coolant overflow is behind the inner front panel and to remove that, you either need to take its head off or remove the floor panel to remove it. I went with the latter and it was a real pain removing everything, and I found that there is something screwed up about one of the bolt holes for the floor panel and now I can't get a bolt back in. It is like a shard of metal or something in there stopping it from going in. Very weird. Tomorrow I will be topping up the oil and trying to figure that out, then giving it a more thorough clean to make it look nicer.
are the party rockers in the room with us right now?
watermoon
eternement hana

Re: bikes and scooters thread

Post by watermoon »

oh hell yeah! that sounds so cool

god i want a motorcycle so badlyyyyy… though i also have a premonition that it would be the end of me, yet despite that the desire still remains.

(though i only worry about that because i'm a speed junkie at heart, and you'll likely be fine)
sinku
assailant

Post by sinku »

watermoon wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:16 pm god i want a motorcycle so badlyyyyy… though i also have a premonition that it would be the end of me, yet despite that the desire still remains.

(though i only worry about that because i'm a speed junkie at heart, and you'll likely be fine)
I worry that i might die on the road but im not a speed junkie at all i just wanna go a really long distance for really cheap.
sinku
assailant

Post by sinku »

Insuring a bike in the UK is a pain in the ass when the guy whos sold you the thing is a moron. He didnt give me the documentation I need so now I have to either wait on him to sort his life out and get the documents and transfer the registration to me or pay to get it re-registered under my name.

Besides stupid legal rigamarole, everything is alright. Today the new air filter arrived which I will be fitting in the evening. I changed the oil and have been attacking the black rubberized panels on the bike with back-to-black and black restoration wax to make it look nice again. The oil change was enjoyable, I was hanging out on call with a friend and threatened to drink the tray of dark forbidden fluid.
sinku
assailant

Post by sinku »

I got replacement mirrors for my bike today. The cheap replacement ones that it came with it sucked ass, were zoomed in too far and didnt make me feel confident that I could see something coming up on me. It came with a broken mirror, so I assume that these things break off a lot.

I purchased OEM replicas from Vicma just so I could get something close to the originals. I dunno if I'll keep that up with every piece that needs replacing, since I'd like to get LEDs to replace all the lights on it. That is just so they are brighter, it would make me feel a little more safe. I'm excited to get out on it again, perhaps I will later tonight. It is fast and im already thinking about getting my license specifically so I could get a 150cc, or higher ... Though I'm not a speed junkie or anything, all I really want is to sit nice and upright. I dont wanna have to perch on something narrow.
JennyDog
assailant

Post by JennyDog »

I've been eyeballing getting a used bike and trying to figure out where to loo, some of the local shops have a Cannondale quick 6 on sale and I've been contemplating it.
sinku
assailant

Post by sinku »

JennyDog wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 1:29 pm I've been eyeballing getting a used bike and trying to figure out where to loo, some of the local shops have a Cannondale quick 6 on sale and I've been contemplating it.
You should look on facebook marketplace! It's really awesome. That and craigslist or your local variant of craigslist. I would recommend a claud butler cuz thats what my current bicycle is, a 20 year old hybrid trekking sort of variant that I've replaced the handlebars on to give me a more leisurely riding position. idk anything about cannondales but it certainly looks nice! I'd try to source a used one if possible.

SCOOTER UPDATE: i like my scooter, its really fun to ride, and im getting all sorts of ideas about a real motorcycle and securing my license. I've been out on it in the daytime and nighttime and been taking it around little country roads, and it is fast and smooth. though, 50mph+ feels perilous. I wish I had a jacket that was a tighter fit. I am unsure what is up with it mechanically right now: it sometimes stalls when I slow to a stop. I have no clue why it is doing that, since it is automatic!! internet says it could be a carb thing and if it was a carb thing it would need cleaning. Will have to take it apart and see.
JennyDog
assailant

Post by JennyDog »

sinku wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 11:38 am
You should look on facebook marketplace! It's really awesome. That and craigslist or your local variant of craigslist. I would recommend a claud butler cuz thats what my current bicycle is, a 20 year old hybrid trekking sort of variant that I've replaced the handlebars on to give me a more leisurely riding position. idk anything about cannondales but it certainly looks nice! I'd try to source a used one if possible.
What's the sort of stuff you should use for intuiting/feeling out if a bike is good or bad quality? is it sort of obvious? Should folks try it out on a trial run or struff?
sinku wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 11:38 am SCOOTER UPDATE: i like my scooter, its really fun to ride, and im getting all sorts of ideas about a real motorcycle and securing my license. I've been out on it in the daytime and nighttime and been taking it around little country roads, and it is fast and smooth. though, 50mph+ feels perilous. I wish I had a jacket that was a tighter fit. I am unsure what is up with it mechanically right now: it sometimes stalls when I slow to a stop. I have no clue why it is doing that, since it is automatic!! internet says it could be a carb thing and if it was a carb thing it would need cleaning. Will have to take it apart and see.
do you have scooter pics :0
sinku
assailant

Post by sinku »

JennyDog wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 12:09 pm What's the sort of stuff you should use for intuiting/feeling out if a bike is good or bad quality? is it sort of obvious? Should folks try it out on a trial run or struff? [...] do you have scooter pics :0
humm idk, besides obviously giving it a little ride.. the main things to keep an eye out for are broken things. prime example: spokes. broken spokes can be expensive to fix and will just lead to more spokes breaking. gotta make sure the drivetrain is in good condition, that all the gears are not in need of replacing and the chain is well kept. I bought a bike and didnt notice one of the brake levers was held in by a little yellow wall plug and not a metal piece like the other lever. and do your research about the hallmarks of a good or bad quality frame. if its old, like old old, make sure you aren't buying a rustbucket. also, buy a helmet!!! buy a helmet!!!!!!! id suggest a specialized 'mode' helmet but the best rated ones in this list are pricey but worth saving paying for to save your head and brain in a collision. .

no scoot pics rn but i will take some next time I leave the house.
JennyDog
assailant

Post by JennyDog »

sinku wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 12:55 pm also, buy a helmet!!! buy a helmet!!!!!!! id suggest a specialized 'mode' helmet but the best rated ones in this list are pricey but worth saving paying for to save your head and brain in a collision. .
Oh I already picked a helmet up! I'm wearing a Cannondale Junction MIPS -- I actually got it because I badgered another friend into actually buying a helmet to wear while they bike haha.
sinku
assailant

Post by sinku »

God, my bike is annoying to pull apart. you gotta take four panels off before you can even think about accessing anything electrical. I suppose it makes sense, to keep it all dry, but its so so so annoying; above all else, removing the footboard is the most annoying shit ever. It is this rubbery plastic single piece that I wish they had just made two pieces rather than one.

There is something wrong with one of my headlights and I will have to pull it apart again to diagnose it tomorrow. Today I replaced the headlight I thought was broken, but it wasnt, so now I have a spare. It wont be so bad doing it all again ... but I am dreading it. It is certainly a wiring issue, and I'm not sure what kind or how bad it will be.
sinku
assailant

Post by sinku »

The story so far: The dipped headlight on my bike was not working correctly. High beam worked, main beam didnt. I pulled it apart yesterday and replaced the bulb, but it still didnt work when I tested it, so I gave up for the day.

Today I pulled it apart again. My dad and I tested the bulb and various connectors with a multimeter, and then the whole headlight unit with a battery to see if it worked, which it did. No apparent issues in the headlight unit. Before he went for a nap, he said it might have something to do with the switch, as its unlikely any of the electrics elsewhere are causing issues.
IMG20240823140449.jpg
IMG20240823140449.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 64 times
We've known since we got it that at some point that switch got replaced, since it doesn't fit in the socket its supposed to sit in correctly. I take the head of the scooter apart, and find that it isnt just aftermarket but its probably a transplant from a different Honda model. The connector for the headlight switch on the NES and Dylan models is 4-pin, but this thing was pilfered from something that uses a 3-pin connector. There is even a stray fourth wire dangling around from the old switch connector. The 3-pin unit is not able to be pulled apart and the pins cant be reseated, and they are loose, so the connection is shoddy. When I jostled the wire into place and held it, the headlight switch worked correctly and I could switch from low to high beam again. But as soon as you move it, it stops working.

My dad took it and tried to shave it down with a little angle grinder to fit it into the slot a little better, but not only is the switch wrong, but the connector just sucks and isnt made for it either. So, he suggested I solve this like so.
IMG20240823164719.jpg
IMG20240823164719.jpg (390.99 KiB) Viewed 64 times
It did indeed work, so now my bike's lights work again! I would like to buy a replacement for this switch and connector, though. Just so it stays reliable.
sinku
assailant

Post by sinku »

Quick update: it stopped working again. I ordered replacement parts and will be fixing it again, correctly, when they all arrive.
sinku
assailant

Post by sinku »

During this month:
I replaced the light switch and indicator switch, as they were both faulty. This involved rewiring the light switch as it had been previously badly rewired with a switch from a different model that had ceased to work. Replacing the indicator was crazy easy, but I broke a nail while doing it and it made me really sad :(

Yesterday:
My bike broke down! I drove it until it was almost empty and after filling it back up and riding it for some time, some crap probably got stuck in the carb jet and caused all power to be completely lost. So I removed the carb for the first time! I am hoping to have it clean and will reinstall it tomorrow and hopefully it will start again. If it doesn't that will be sad, but oh well, guess I will need a new bike.