Music scrap thread

Code: Select all

Progress: 35% [===-      ]

maru
at sea

Music scrap thread

Post by maru »

Got any interesting mini-tracks to share?

I'm in the middle of figuring out Paralogue shared file hosting. When I have figured it out, I'll edit this post for easier uploads. For now there's always https://0x0.st, your own personal dropbox, etc...
We don't care what you say but we care what you do.
We’re the invisible entity that looks out for you.
watermoon
eternement hana

Post by watermoon »

i've had this melody kicking around for… wait fuck, a year now?!

pureceiling_sheet.png
pureceiling_sheet.png (30.02 KiB) Viewed 6347 times
pureceiling_midi.mp3
(507.55 KiB) Downloaded 558 times

i've also taken a couple stabs at removing the tritone built into it, but when i did i felt like it just removed part of the charm… like a face airbrushed a bit too smoothly…

will i ever do anything with it? who knows at this point, but i'd like to, somehow.
Last edited by watermoon on Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: broken html removed, external links replaced with attachments
maru
at sea

Re: Music scrap thread

Post by maru »

I can share my trove of scraps that never went anywhere now! Behold.

scrap-piano: I barely remember writing this. It sounds nice though.

echo stack 2: I've been chasing this sound for years now. It's such a beautiful B-section to a song, like the back half of a chorus. But I don't think these chords are findable, I think I was out of tune or something. project6 is me trying to recreate this.

cinema purgatorio (canto 4): this one is so embarrassing! It's an outtake from Hetaera. I did a vocal treatment and this is the second one that's trying to be laid back. The whole record is stream of consciousness lyrics and this has a lot of stuff that ended up in other songs (I had this weird fascination with true names, changing names, etc etc). Listening back though it's kinda fun so I don't mind sharing here. I can't make music like this very well — my roommate at the time in Toronto did instrumentals and I would do vocal treatments on it and idk, the record after this is when I was doing everything and they're just very different songs. My stuff was always moody. He's really good at pop.

clerks 1: why the hell is this called clerks 1?

I'll dig up more later ... kinda wanna get back into music, though.
Attachments
clerks 1.mp3
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 569 times
Cinema Purgatorio (Canto 4).mp3
(5.93 MiB) Downloaded 546 times
project6.mp3
(656.14 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
echo stack 2.mp3
(462.57 KiB) Downloaded 550 times
scrap-piano.mp3
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 574 times
maru
at sea

Post by maru »

Okay, I lied. I have two more!

Day Two: I've never heard this until now. Seriously. This was the very first thing we had recorded. I think I did guitar and he did bass? Not sure. Did I do all of it? Doubtful. I know I had recorded the vocal take and refused to listen to it. This was my relationship to my voice at the time — I was too ashamed of what I might sound like. I actually like this though! No pitch correction and I didn't listen to the vocals so that I would just do another take so it's just blatantly off key. So sad.

Telephone: This was gonna go out on whatever came after Charity but for the life of me I hated every possible vocal take I did here. I still do! But it's a cute idea in a way? I don't know. All these vocal treatmented songs — I mean a lot of the work we did in that band — I feel in retrospect is so pretentious, it's like early Momus, I feel like I am trying so hard to be "clever" and I need to just tell a damn story or sing a damn song. At least that's what the next thing would be, if I made another record.
Attachments
Telephone.mp3
(6.17 MiB) Downloaded 583 times
Day Two.mp3
(3.9 MiB) Downloaded 557 times
Pogckets
participant

Post by Pogckets »

have a lot more piano on a tablet
Attachments
Backyard.mp3
(188.75 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
Mig.mp3
(764.19 KiB) Downloaded 562 times
oh mmm.mp3
(358.06 KiB) Downloaded 571 times
sinku
assailant

Post by sinku »

i treat names more like namespaces for different ideas so I have a lot of unrelated tracks all under the same name with different numbers. but sometimes numbers also mean versions of the same track.
Attachments
ghjhhjjhhjhjhjhjhjjhhjhjjh.mp3
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 550 times
orchid fixation 6.mp3
(270.41 KiB) Downloaded 559 times
orchid fixation 5 samplebase 2.mp3
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 571 times
orchid fixation 3.mp3
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 558 times
of2.2.mp3
(2.03 MiB) Downloaded 566 times
are the party rockers in the room with us right now?
maru
at sea

Post by maru »

sinku wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:48 am i treat names more like namespaces for different ideas so I have a lot of unrelated tracks all under the same name with different numbers. but sometimes numbers also mean versions of the same track.
These are so spooky and Aphex-y ... sinku selected ambient works ...
sinku
assailant

Post by sinku »

maru wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:50 am These are so spooky and Aphex-y ... sinku selected ambient works ...
I have spookier tracks but all of them are too big to put here. all unreleased lol. maybe we have to bump the amnt of filesize to like 18mb. I like Telephone and clerks 1, neat production and harmony
Pogckets wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:48 am have a lot more piano on a tablet
release a compilation of this stuff, its so nice
watermoon
eternement hana

Post by watermoon »

maru wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:35 pm echo stack 2: I've been chasing this sound for years now. It's such a beautiful B-section to a song, like the back half of a chorus. But I don't think these chords are findable, I think I was out of tune or something. project6 is me trying to recreate this.
i know i mentioned this to you earlier, but that guitar tone is so yummy…
Pogckets wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:48 am have a lot more piano on a tablet
we demand the tablet tapes
sinku wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:48 am i treat names more like namespaces for different ideas so I have a lot of unrelated tracks all under the same name with different numbers. but sometimes numbers also mean versions of the same track.

ghjhhjjhhjhjhjhjhjjhhjhjjh.mp3
a project file namer after my own heart~

anyway, some other things i've done post-2019, in various states of completion…

heartstake_1768335_2023-05-31_final.mp3
(6.95 MiB) Downloaded 557 times
fickle girl channels hiroshi yoshimura with mixed results. i think the motivation here was trying to capture the simplicity and use of rubato his songs have, with in the sea breeze being a primary inspiration. like augh it's so blindingly simple yet powerful! how does he do so much with so little?!
i was playing around and wrote everything up to around the first key transition in like a handful of minutes, and then stopped once i felt like i backed myself into a corner, but later decided that the only path was forward and so i kept going. i feeeeeel like it gets to a really beautiful moment… but then just gives up and ends.
i also tried to do the rubato thing by manually altering the tempo with just about every phrase, but the end result just sounds clunky?

cord-6-30.mp3
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 570 times
a little hook from an una corda vst that i liked enough to start turning into a song, and i got some of the verse and chorus melodies written, but then never got around to finishing it. i should, though…

on a narrow bridge we'll line up playing chicken with our beliefs
and as you watch me fall you'll cross your arms and have the gall to say you love me too

completegarbage_loop.mp3
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 564 times
one of my first pc-98 experiments, and evidence that i can write songs with a pulse sometimes. though maybe i just found this to be kinda derivative?

liphicfull.mp3
(2.68 MiB) Downloaded 562 times
the main theme from a song that would've been beautiful in another time and place… (performed much more slowly than is sensible here)
i thought about expanding it as an actual piano song with sheet music, and started progressing in that direction, but lost motivation…
alternatively, i thought about putting lyrics to it but my current lyric set's lines are all taken from fesh pince. iunno i find something perverse in the idea of those opening notes being sung to Did he not shit? Did he not drerj?
willow
entrant

Post by willow »

from the bottom of the attachment list up:

#1 a friend asked me to make a remix of one of her songs for a remix album. this is a bit of an older WIP of it, you'll all need to wait until next week to hear the full thing.

i have this idea for a sound and a style called "neurotrance". the goal is to fuse the dark futuristic sounds of neurofunk D&B with the optimistic futurism of the y2k trance style. i've been playing with this style for a really long time but i've never finished a track in it.

#2 is yet another time i've rewritten a melody from a song i made when i was 13. i can't keep these really old things out of my head, and i'm never satisfied with any more completed form they take ever.

#3 is yet another study into jrpg sound and theory. it could definitely do with some more tweaking on the piano line to sound more expressive, but i got the study that i wanted out of it.
Attachments
jrpgy.ogg
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 558 times
illusionmk2.ogg
(489.92 KiB) Downloaded 549 times
eternal nightfall neurotrance.mp3
(2.28 MiB) Downloaded 558 times
sinku
assailant

Post by sinku »

one completed, others unfinished
Attachments
chosen breakz.mp3
(5.08 MiB) Downloaded 551 times
bleep.mp3
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 556 times
drone 1.mp3
(313.26 KiB) Downloaded 554 times
drone 3.mp3
(6.54 MiB) Downloaded 563 times
stingy queens-f.mp3
(7.13 MiB) Downloaded 580 times
watermoon
eternement hana

Post by watermoon »

willow wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:33 am i have this idea for a sound and a style called "neurotrance". the goal is to fuse the dark futuristic sounds of neurofunk D&B with the optimistic futurism of the y2k trance style. i've been playing with this style for a really long time but i've never finished a track in it.
did this ever get finished? i think you might be onto something with neurotrance… i kinda love this style.

for the mega drive / genesis chipset.
this one came to me in a dream fully-formed, which is very rare, but it's also pretty simple, so i guess it makes sense. but the people i've sent it to so far seem to like it, so maybe it's not too bad.
(…though i say that and yet i couldn't bring myself to post this for over a week?)

shipballer_a_20240717_2l.mp3
(5.09 MiB) Downloaded 373 times
willow
entrant

Post by willow »

watermoon wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:54 pm did this ever get finished? i think you might be onto something with neurotrance… i kinda love this style.
oh shoot i did finish it, just forgot to post here! it's on my soundcloud rn
https://soundcloud.com/wlowlo/key-archi ... owlo-remix

i'd def like to explore the neurotrance thing some more. this song is hardly my best work by any stretch and i don't think it's a great example of what the genre could be at its best.
watermoon wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:54 pm for the mega drive / genesis chipset.
this one came to me in a dream fully-formed, which is very rare, but it's also pretty simple, so i guess it makes sense. but the people i've sent it to so far seem to like it, so maybe it's not too bad.
super fun, the megadrive sound isn't something i'm personally into but that's a jam for sure :)

i've had music come to me in dreams before but i very very rarely remember even the melodies outside of super short peroids before and after sleep. crazy that u were able to remember that
watermoon
eternement hana

Post by watermoon »

watermoon wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:04 pm i've had this melody kicking around for… wait fuck, a year now?!

[…]

will i ever do anything with it? who knows at this point, but i'd like to, somehow.
i guess i tried to uwu

pureceiling_prot_20240829.mp3
(3.4 MiB) Downloaded 4 times

or, i started sketching this out, though partway through the sketching process i started to get the feeling that i really just wanted to put down all the melodic lines and be done with it, instead of spending more time finding better instruments and drums and thickening up the mix and progressing it as a song. so here, i just have all of the different melodic lines coming in on the first loop, whereas in my mind i'd want to start with the main melody first and then begin to introduce the others upon repetition.

still, i can't say that i'm displeased with it. i think there's something nice in here; i'm just not sure how to draw it out with this chip.
(both with this and tensai shoujo i commonly had the feeling of it would be great if i could have the melody played with this instrument!… except i can't really do that with FM… so what would be a good substitute? is there a good substitute?)

i dunno where i want to go next, musically. i feel like i want to do something fast, and fun, and prurient, and if a shuffle beat is involved then i wouldn't be opposed. but my desires always find a way of changing once i start working, so i can never quite know where i'll end up…