your coffee makers

Anything and everything.
sinku
assailant

Post by sinku »

hi all. I have a bunch of coffee makers and i wanna know what coffee makers you have, have had, like to use, want, etc

my current collection:
  • a red bialetti french press</li>
  • a nondescript black french press</li>
  • a tiny single cup moka pot</li>
  • a large german 3-or-4-something cup moka pot</li>
  • an aeropress (daily use)</li>
  • a white corning ware percolator (new!)</li>
  • a cheap drip coffee maker that i never use</li>
the percolator is a nice stovetop model, which my mom gifted to me today because she found it secondhand for cheap. she told me it's just like the one her granny had. I made two very good cups of coffee with it today before work, and it makes me want to get one of the electric percolators that look exactly like it does.

typically i only have one cup, which the aeropress is best for, but i wanted to get a feel for how a percolator is different from a drip or a moka pot. i think i burned it. ideally i'd have some sort of espresso machine but those things are so expensive. uhg.
are the party rockers in the room with us right now?
maru
at sea

Post by maru »

That's ... a lot of coffeemakers.

Well -- you've had my coffee! You know what it's like!

I've had phases of coffee snobbery in my life but I've sort of graduated toward a universal "every coffee is a beautiful girl in her own way" approach. Sometimes I want McDonalds coffee. Sometimes I want diner coffee. Somehow it all affects my body differently. I can't have Starbucks drip coffee because it just hits my body too hard, but their espresso drinks are usually fine. A double espresso at home can be seriously jittery. I need a ton of Keurig coffees to feel anything. Etc. etc.

I have the following:

- a drip coffee maker that automatically grinds enough for the pot
- a very basic Delonghi espresso machine

That's it.

I used to have a moka pot. Don't know where it is anymore. I used to have a French press all throughout university, but again I don't know where it is. Neither made astonishingly good coffee. It's kind of cute to just make a French press full of coffee and leave it in while you're working with someone, though of course it's going to stew way too long in there and become weird and acidic. It's really easy to fuck up coffee, but only when you're trying to be a snob about it.

These days I just make espresso from the machine. It's fine. I have pre-ground espresso grounds! And they're also fine! Everything is just fine!
We don't care what you say but we care what you do.
We’re the invisible entity that looks out for you.
Pogckets
participant

Post by Pogckets »

my favorite kind of coffee is cold brew. Dont make much anymore but know how to with a simple & slow water extraction

second to that would be espresso and I value the industrial machines - have eyed a manual espresso press but never tested

at home: a red, plastic pour over with single use filters - primarily for guests

no grinder and never roast my own beans

take my coffee with cinnamon and occasionally a little maple syrup or ginseng

been regularly slow cooking chaga mushrooms for 24-48 hours which make a delicious earthy, energizing beverage. Highly recommend

Pogckets
participant

Post by Pogckets »

how do yall take your coffee
Pogckets
participant

Post by Pogckets »

sinku wrote: the percolator is a nice stovetop model, which my mom gifted to me today because she found it secondhand for cheap. she told me it's just like the one her granny had. I made two very good cups of coffee with it today before work, and it makes me want to get one of the electric percolators that look exactly like it does.
dig the look of percolators

associate them with cowboys and handy people

and French presses (Maru)

used to have one and gave it away
sinku
assailant

Post by sinku »

maru wrote: "every coffee is a beautiful girl in her own way" [...] These days I just make espresso from the machine. It's fine. I have pre-ground espresso grounds! And they're also fine! Everything is just fine!
thats so true ?? all coffee is beautiful. i forgot to mention that i grind my own coffee. but i buy supermarket beans because i like this one bag of columbian coffee that has a pretty green packaging.
Pogckets wrote: take my coffee with cinnamon and occasionally a little maple syrup or ginseng
maple syrup! that sounds nice, im gonna try it today. i normally have 1 and a half tsp of sugar with some milk.
are the party rockers in the room with us right now?
pleiades
entrant

Post by pleiades »

We own a Keurig, but I use reusable pods and fill em with regular ground coffee cuz it's cheaper and definitely better for the environment. They work pretty well too!
Pogckets wrote: been regularly slow cooking chaga mushrooms for 24-48 hours which make a delicious earthy, energizing beverage. Highly recommend
Very curious about the flavor of this!
meri
wandering

Post by meri »

ive been a caffiend recently. what am i on... two cups of coffee and an energy drink? anything above that actually gives me a boost. if i dont get that, a massive headache will ensue. i'll detox one of these months. sure.

the moccamaster KBGV has seen heavy use at our house. it makes perfectly good coffee. i don't know if i could justify buying something like that for myself, but it was already there.

i dream of pour over and espresso machines, though i've never felt desperate enough to dip in. it just seems like a lot of effort? every once in a while the urge to make a latte at home overcomes me but i know i wouldn't use it enough. maybe some day.

in summer months i like making cold brew in a french press. get a big burr in the grinder and leave it on the counter overnight. press and store in the fridge for a week. dilute and serve on ice. delicious!
Pogckets wrote:how do yall take your coffee
straight into my veins. usually black, sometimes a little oat milk. milk is ok, other milk substitutes are not